M240B > L7A2 GPMG Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: M240B > L7A2 GPMG Conversion

Loving the look, was looking at moding one of these myself before I came across your thread, and was wondering how easy/difficult it was to source the butt plate, carry handdle and flash hidder

Comment

Carry handle are sometimes on ebay,ammobox 50rounds too,for buttplate and flash hider you need to be lucky... look on different UK forums maybe

Good luck

Comment

Flash hiders, being Section 5 parts (unless they're rendered unable to fit on a RS gun), will be difficult to obtain.

Comment

Ok ,i understand now why i didn't find it on ebay...

Thanks Panoptes

Comment

the mod is in the pprocess of buying a lightweight gpmg, its about 2kg lighter.

Comment

The very first pics in this thread refer to it.

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla View Post
                The weapon your on about is simply a 7.62 minimi which is being issued to UKSF. The numbers are less than 200.
                I draw your attention to my post just above yours: "has already been fielded by SFSG...only bought 170 of them"
                Please read posts before rephrasing and repeating them
                The MoD is NOT in the process of buying a lightweight GPMG. They are currently encouraging development of them but they have not decided to procure any as replacements (yet)
                There are currently many similar projects by many companies around the world (notably Barrett and HK) although none of them offer really significant weight reduction at a reasonable price. The M240LW (Barrett) is effectively an FN MAG58 in its original configuration (bar a few minor changes) and weighs roughly the same amount as the current L7A2. The HK designs look promising but the use of certain materials (titanium predominantly) has increased the cost dramatically. Other departments have backed the aforementioned "maximinimi" as a replacement GPMG but soldiers are unwilling to trade the performance of the L7 just to reduce their load.
                | Systema L119A1 UGL PTW || Echo 1 L7A2 GPMG || G&P L110A2 Minimi || Custom L129A1 || KSC Glock 17 || Inokatsu Sig P226 || KSC Glock 18C |

Comment

Thanks for the info dude

The "old" L7A2 is a beast, the weight is not a problem when you have the quality.

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla View Post
                    MattaM, you do realise that the C2 sight is only used in the Sustained Fire and map predicted fire roles? For airsoft, i dare say you will most likely be using the weapon in the light role in which case use iron sights, that is unless you have got hold of a tripod as well! All that said very nice gimpy.
                    I have an SF Tripod for sale @ £1,000. They cost £9,500 Plus VAT 12 years ago! Also have the transit bag for it @ £25.00. Also have a C2 Sight for £1,500. They cost £8,500 Pus VAT 12 years ago!......All Legaly Obtained! PM me if your interested. SERIOUS Enquires ONLY Please. I dont entertain dreamers!......

As an aside. & GPMG L7A2 Today brand new in the UK costs £12,000 Plus VAT!.................

Comment

I'll bet they don't that much to the Yanks. They wouldn't put up with such high prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                        I'll bet they don't that much to the Yanks. They wouldn't put up with such high prices.
                        If you had worked in the Defence Manufacturing Sector you would understand. The 'Customer', or more correctly termed. End User, WILL pay virtually ANYTHING to obtain what is needed.
                        The Defence Manufacturing market is the biggest Robbing con area in the World. The U.S Manufature the M240 Under Licence from FN.

The Profit Markup on 'Products' is actually obscene! All paid for by the good old Tax payer, or course! For example, I asked my Ex Boss one day how he arrived at a retail figure to the M.O.D. He just laughed & said: 'Well, you buy in the item, add 20% & then Trebble it!'...........

I have personaly worked on some old FN 7.62mm Versions of the .30" Cal, but with a different rear grip to a Browning 1919A4.
                        They were bought in from Israel for £150 quid each. I over hauled them, re parkerised & oild dipped them. they looked VERY nice when I had finished.
                        they went out the door to the Nigerian Police for £1,500 EACH, 15 days later!.......Thats the sort of markup I mean!

To actually Manufacture ANY of the GPMG/MAG or Browning .50" Cal Mgs that I was involved with. Does indeed cost the manufacturers a LOT of money to make.
                        There is machining, tight inspection tollerances to be applied by inspection staff (Wages) Heat treatment, Basic material procurment prices, Tooling costs, Tool replacment/sharpening costs, shotblasting & chemicals costs for surface protection/finish,Test firing & associated Ammo costs, Proofing Costs, Oil preservervation,packing materials,Transportation,shipping,admin for export permits,phone calls Etc Etc to name just a FEW of the processes involved!

You can see from the Above, that the manufacturing costs for NEW smallarms or Equipment does NOT leave a lot for profit. Overhauling & refurbishing however, is a VERY different matter!
                        I know of one case of GPMGs that were bought in from india (Mag58's) for £100 pounds each! After a FULL & thoughrough refurb, they were sold on for £3,000 pounds each! Any unserviceable recievers were sold on to a Sec.5 Dealer I know for build up & subsequent Deactivation. there are now a LOT of Ex Indian GPMG deacts out there in collections & crop up occasionaly on the collectors circuit.

SO,...........Bear this in mind folks. For a manufacturer to design & tool up for Airsoft replicas Etc. The inistial costs are many thousands. The end product is VERY cheap compared to the Real Steel Versions!.............

Comment

I'm struggling to understand how your post adds to the discussion, head?

Of course Airsoft is cheaper than Real Steel, that stands to reason on so many levels.

For the record, I was in a BMW garage in Bristol yesterday - it turns out, annoyingly, that real cars are actually a lot more expensive than Hot Wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenworth W900 View Post
                            I'm struggling to understand how your post adds to the discussion, head?

Of course Airsoft is cheaper than Real Steel, that stands to reason on so many levels.

For the record, I was in a BMW garage in Bristol yesterday - it turns out, annoyingly, that real cars are actually a lot more expensive than Hot Wheels.
                            Mmm, Not difficult at all I would say. I posted the above information to clarify why SPARES for GPMGs Etc are so expensive to buy. WHEN you are able to source them! This was for the benifit of those who may wish to convert Airsoft MAG58/ M240s to Brit L7 spec. The reason WHY parts are so hard to find is simple.

Very FEW real GPMGs have been released & Deactivated. The Gun is STILL in service, as we all are aware. To that end, spares cost a small Fortune to buy from Manufacturers. A LOT of stuff is refurbd & Overhauled to keep it going as a cheaper option. Also, it is standard practice for Armourers to Destroy Defective parts & Componants after replacing them. As a preventative measure to avoid bits falling into the wrong hands.

this SHOULD clarify WHY GPMG parts & Accessories (Apart from slings, cleaning kits & Bandoliers) are so hard to find!

ANY product that is designed, developed & put into Production. Incures MANY Thousands of Pounds in setting up costs. The manufacturer must sell thousands of the products to recoup this. And also evetually turn a profit by the volume of sales. This WILL apply also to 'Hot Wheel'toy cars!.....................

Bottom line: If you think you are going to source ANYTHING spares or Major Accessories apertaining to Brit GPMGs for whatever use. At a cheap & sensible price.
                            You WILL struggle! This is not meant to put a downer on anyone wishing to do a conversion. Merely to clarify the REALISTIC position of being in a situation that could take many years to completion. If at all, in most cases!.................

I sincerely hope that explains things properly?...........

Comment

Having thought about it, your double dose of painfully obvious common sense and knowledge is still preferable to a stupid or wrong comment. Therefore, I approve, even if you seem to be treating us all like idiots.

Comment

He's right, but the way he types makes me want to put my head in an oven.

Does anyone know of anywhere to get the ammo drums? Got a line on a gpmg myself.
                                Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                                It just annoys me that M79s are in MW2 when everyone else is using stupid futureweapons.

Derbyshire- apparently the secret training grounds of the Russian special forces.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Panoptes Gunnoisseur [n] pron: ['gun-uh-sur', -soor'] [Purveyor of fine taste in firearms]. Find out more about Panoptes
                                Working...
                                X