Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Longest Comfirmed Range?

Originally posted by Scotsmark View Post
    The fact is, they are NOT built using "the exact same principles as every other gun".
    Actually it is.

Real steel dimensions and fantastic build quality are 100% irrelevant when talking about range and accuracy. The only thing that stops the BB hitting the ground a few meters in front of the barrel is the hop. RS haven't invented some physics-defying system, so they are using "the exact same principles as every other gun".

The BB drops due to gravity at exactly the same rate as a bullet does from a real gun. The difference is that the bullet is going so much faster, so the distance it travels before dropping to the ground is huge. A BB will drop at the same rate, but it's going forward much slower and therefore hits the ground closer to the weapon. Backspin counters gravity for a while and velocity pushes it further for every unit of backspin. BUT, a good hop or a bad hop, it's still backspin and no airsoft manufacturer has found a better way to get range while fighting gravity yet.
    sigpic

Comment

the inners of that LR300 sound ace. i notice your using the reaps hop rubber. I just posted in the thread about it, im hoping to get one fitted to my barret. i have the black python in my fn2000, and i think they work a treat too.

im really trying to do some serious stuff to my Barret as i spent alot on the kit off of zero1. i had it built internally in scotland but like i said previously at about 60m it lacks the feel of being hit despite keeping range. i thnk that the airseal needs sorting.
      Dead or alive....your coming with me

Comment

Originally posted by god84 View Post
        the inners of that LR300 sound ace. i notice your using the reaps hop rubber. I just posted in the thread about it, im hoping to get one fitted to my barret. i have the black python in my fn2000, and i think they work a treat too.
        I'm a big fan of the REAPS in my otherwise standard KJW 229. Firing at just under 350fps, I've had confirmed semi-accurate hits at 56m on the GZW range.

But, they do seem to be hit and miss, so don't expect miracles in every gun. They're worth a try though.
        sigpic

Comment

Measured out using a 50m tape measure I can hit a skateboard ramp about 1m by .70m at 103m with lots of hop and aiming up. Hit a few times in about 20 shots. Using a VSR with PDI internals and then using a friends KJW KC02 pretty much the same. Vsr at 480 and kc02 at 440 ish fps.

For effective range, as in flat trajectory and not needing to aim up about 5-10m, I can hit out to 80m 6-8 times out of 10. Obviously these are not in the field and wouldn't even expect people to believe it, I didn't until my mate actually showed me.

As long as I can reach out about 10-20m more than an AEG in the field I am happy.
          "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists .. I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

oh yeah, that sounds pretty good for a pistol haha.

atleast they feel it. like i said my Barret is abit inconsistant after the 40m interms of power. so im deffinetly gonna give this hop rubber a go.
            Dead or alive....your coming with me

Comment

I just got promoted at work b1tches.

I'm with coz, assault: screaming like you're bat sh.. Crazy. First round accuracy for the win.

Christo 80m is a good range mate but this is my point, if it takes 10 shots and you hit 6, while still good that gives me a 40% chance of not being hit.

Cut it back 20m let's say you hit 9/10 still very good. But I'll take that 10%.

It's got to be 100% accuracy. Nothing less.
              Originally posted by Coz
              Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
              http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

Originally posted by da1994 View Post
                And I'm willing to bet if he was still around then Jimmy Saville might...
                Too soon? Nah!

But that's what makes me laugh with peopl e who buy M82's and because they are mahoosive guns, expect them to reach out and touch people airsofting in the next county. Then moan because they are too heavy, impractical and have the same range as say an l96!

Of course range is nothing if by the time it gets to the other person they don't feel it hitting them because there is no power in it!
                sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

I'm not technically into the internal side of things about them
                  Yes, I'm quite familiar with Real Sword. Their guns LOOK and FEEL nice, and yes they build some lovely replicas, BUT, they still use a little rubber nipple rubbing on a plastic ball blown through a pipe.

Build quality = efficiency and consistency as in, you might get x velocity out of a M90 spring whereas in a lesser quality gun you might get a lower velocity because of pressure loss due to fit and finish.

EVERY airsoft gun used the same principle. It's essentially an electric compressor hooked up to a pipw that has some way of dropping BBs into it.

Ah, beaten by Caveira.

This is the most fundamentally depressing thing about airsoft I guess...

Comment

I bought mine just as a replacement hop rubber, at £5.60 shipped I couldn't turn it down, using .25s isn't the ideal weight for it but it still works really well.
                    I do have one in the hicapa but not having measured its range I can't say.

I don't know what real sword have done with the dragunov but they are pretty epic, the hop is really well sorted on them.
                    For those that have been to CSW, think of the little village, one side has the bridges, the other side has a few trees and a bit of open.
                    The one I used which was new was reaching the church building and a little past it from the bushes opposite the village (the bushes you can get to from the safe zone and the comms tower.
                    That was a couple of years ago and was the version 1, the v2 is apparently better and more stable.
                    Shooting aimed shots from 20m at match sticks is pretty impressive on its own.
                    section 24 of the 1968 Act
                    Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                    1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                    2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
                      Ah, beaten by Caveira.

This is the most fundamentally depressing thing about airsoft I guess...
                      Then get used to being depressed mate as I beat most people to it as often as possible.

Though, perhaps, that isn't exactly what you meant.........
                      sigpic

Comment

@ B.E.N. - good answer but, if you can, explain then, why they perform the way they do out of the box? Are RS using better quality components throughout, as opposed to putting any old crap in there? That 'principle' is a different one but, yes, I agree that the mechanics are the same, even with real guns, they use a gas (which air is) to propel their projectile.

Comment

@ B.E.N. - good answer but, if you can, explain then, why they perform the way they do out of the box? Are RS using better quality components throughout, as opposed to putting any old crap in there? That 'principle' is a different one but, yes, I agree that the mechanics are the same, even with real guns, they use a gas (which air is) to propel their projectile.
                          You make it sound like they are magical right out of the box... They're not at all. The last RS gun I had my hands on fed badly and the hop was inconsistent as hell. The strength is that they have easy to access gearboxs so when they do cock up they are easy to fix.

They are nicely made guns with some nice components in them, but throwing a bunch of cash at a gun doesn't make it work well.

The parallel with real steel weapons doesn't work. In airsoft, you have set power limits. You can generate that 350fps however you want, but you can still only ever fire a 6mm BB at 350fps.

Comment

Their quality control is excellent, so that makes them VERY consistent. A great hop unit is pointless if the BB velocity keeps changing, as the amount of hop required (for any given brand/weight of BB) varies with the speed it is effected for. That allows the user to get a really fine adjustment to the hop, which gives them the range they are capable of.

But the mechanics are not the same with real guns, as you've said. Real guns rely on brute force to throw the bullet as far as possible before gravity drags it into the ground. Airsoft uses the hop to overcome gravity and make the BB float upwards against the effects of gravity. They are 2 VERY different approaches to the same problem and airsoft is miles ahead of real steel technology from that point of view. If you ignore the rifled barrels, and shape/charge/materials of the round itself, a modern firearm is using the same principle as was used when the very first cannons were designed around a thousand years ago.

EDIT:

The last RS gun I had my hands on fed badly and the hop was inconsistent as hell.
                            Interesting. I've not owned one, but I've fired a couple and I found them to be rock solid and was told the secret to their performance was the great components.
                            sigpic

Comment

a little rubber nipple rubbing on a plastic ball blown through a pipe.
                              I need to grow up, I giggled like a school girl at that :S

The one thing that people need to factor in here is how the gun is set up.

A pistol will out range a 500 fps sniper rifle if the pistol user has taken time to set up the hop properly and use the correct weight ammo for max performance.If the Sniper has upgraded to 500 fps and just banged in the cheapest bottle of ammo he can find then he has no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveira View Post

But the mechanics are not the same with real guns, as you've said. Real guns rely on brute force to throw the bullet as far as possible before gravity drags it into the ground. Airsoft uses the hop to overcome gravity and make the BB float upwards against the effects of gravity. They are 2 VERY different approaches to the same problem and airsoft is miles ahead of real steel technology from that point of view. If you ignore the rifled barrels, and shape/charge/materials of the round itself, a modern firearm is using the same principle as was used when the very first cannons were designed around a thousand years ago.
                                Ok, I should have elaborated a bit more on what I was meaning. The similarity between the two was that they used gases to propel their respective projectiles. I understand ballistics and know how real rounds work; firing pin strikes percussion cap, causing primer to ignite powder, forcing round out, etc. I was using a very general likeness.

I should point out here, though, before any physicists jump all over this, the ballistics part was what happens when certain rounds hit the body. Part of the job in the RAMC.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

J888 Find out more about J888
                                Working...
                                X