Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: sniping tactics

those videos are very good
    Traded with me? please leave feedback as will I http://www.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=104161

Comment

Originally posted by xissteve View Post
      i think sniping in teams for airsoft would be a gud idea, as a spotter is suposed to aid the sniper with windage instructions/ targets/ enemy behind you, at least thats what they do in the real world. In the SAS, theres no such thing as lone snipers (acording to some ex SAS blokes on tv), but i can see for airsoft, its only a game, and nothing like 'real' sniping, due to ranges/ scenario etc. But nice interesting post overall
      yes correct snipers (marksman) always work in pairs one spotter one shooter so if you find a good buddy you can always take it in turns then both of you have a good day getting some good hits (if you a good shot) lol

happy airsofting people....
      Keep your friends close but your enemy's CLOSER....

Comment

Originally posted by LtPurcy View Post
        Speaking of ghillies

Does anyone know shops where you can buy shoe goo, net hammock and a butt load of rolls of preferably green hessian (not sacks cba to cut) i dont want to order online

going to be under taking a new ghillie project using my sniper smock ive had and not used
        You may get it at Macruss.

Comment

i was told shoe goo was banned from shops as people buying and sniffing!! i got mine from the bay

Originally posted by Metalbody
          pulling one off certainly feels good

Comment

I was sitting think how useful would smoke grenades be to a sniper?

Imagine, you're all dug into your hide, and your sniping away at the other team, when somebody decides they've had enough. They run at you, getting within your engagement distance so you cant get rounds of at them with your rifle, now instead of fumbling for your secondary, how about letting of a smoke, then legging it as he runs into the cloud?

The only risk I can see with this, is a suit catching fire, meaning you'd have to treat your ghillie with flame retardant.
            Last edited by Malakai; 19 July, 2011, 21:59. Reason: pyro?

Comment

Not so sure on the last comment, if he's in you engagement distance of the average 20-30m running at you he will be right on you by the time the smoke has enough time to build

Comment

RM_Stu has a very good point. Smoke grenades take a while to build up properly. Even the good ones take a wee while.
                That said - a smoke grenade in general could be a very useful thing for distractions or for general use.

Treating your ghillie with a fire retardant is a very good idea indeed.

Andy
                Originally posted by Coz
                Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
                http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

I'm getting asked about zeroing you scope so I'll put up a quick guide.

Zeroing scopes is a pain in the arse. Good quality scopes should hold their zero (ie the point of impact you are aiming at with the cross hairs won't move) pretty well. Cheaper chinese made airsoft scopes might be more susceptible to knocks in the field and might move about.

(This is another reason why I prefer well known brands of scope to airsoft copies)

I'll assume you have all mounted your scope on your rifle - nice and easy to do. Get allen key mounts if you can - they tighten up better than the screw driver ones.

NB: airsoft rifles are not that accurate - don't expect to be putting down one hole groups. - if you can get a sub 3" group with 10 rounds you are doing very well.
                  The weight and quality of your BB's, wind speed and how clean your barrel is, will all have an effect on accuracy so make sure you are consistent. ie use the same ammo and keep your barrel clean, use the same hop setting if you can too.

Zeroing:

Take an A4 piece of paper and draw a cross on it "+" - put a small dot in the centre too.

Aim at the centre and take two shots at it. (Ideally you would measure out the distance you are firing from - but not essential)

These should land in the same quadrant on the paper. - eg top left.

you want these to line up with the vertical line on the cross. - this means that you need to move your cross hairs to the right slightly.

To do this adjust the windage using the tower on the side of the scope. - remember that one click on the scope relates to 1/4" at 100yrds. - at your average garden length this will be a much smaller adjustment.

You are essentially pulling your rounds to where you want them.

once you are happy with your clicks - fire another two rounds at the centre of the cross. Ideally you will be making holes in the vertical line. - if you are still two far one way or the other make a few more adjustments left or right as needs be. - Remember you are pulling rounds onto where you want them.

Now - the horizontal line.

- you are hitting the vertical but it is too high/too low. You now need to adjust the elevation tower up or down.

for example if the are too high then you need to pull them down. - Turn the tower in the downwards direction and try a few more shots.

once you are hitting the centre of the cross then you have successfully zeroed the scope.

Just remember however that at different ranges this will not be the case. - your shots should always be correct in the vertical plane but they will drop once your range increases. This is a pain in airsoft as you often dont have time to start fiddling about. So it is usually a case of aiming off.
                  A world away from real life but hey.

I hope this helps.

All the best
                  Andy
                  Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Could have done with the above guide last weekend. Really nicely put. Thanks mate. Will keep this thread as a favorite for next time i need to set my scope up.

Comment

Hi lads, a recent thread made me want to highlight one issue that I think is often overlooked by new players and new snipers.

maintenance and cleaning.

This is a general routine for a lot of players, who strip down their kit after a game and give it all a good clean. This should be a matter of course after games where you have been getting particularly dirty.

With regards to my vsr I do the following:

Strip down and clean out the barrel
                      clean and lube the piston
                      check the trigger unit for any grit.

To clean the barrel I usually attach some tissue to a length of string - spray the tissue with silicone spray and pull it through until the tissue comes out clean and I can't see any junk in the barrel. - this both cleans the barrel and gives it a light lube.
                      The barrel should look clean and shiny with no bits in. This might take several pieces of tissue to clean it out properly.

For the cylinder I take it out of the rifle, wipe the outside with silicon spray. If the inside looks like it needs a clean I will just wipe off all the grease then give the inside of the cylinder a polish - ie make sure it is shiny with the tissue + silicon spray technique.

Coat the spring in silicone grease and apply a light coating to the "O" ring on the piston. Helping maintain a seal and lube the tube

I'll usually replace the pfte tape on the cylinder head if needs be.

Obviously a lot of this won't need to be done after each game - usually a barrel clean is all that is needed.

Once this has been assembled back together I often check the tightness of the scope mounts, which can work their way loose after a while.

All the best

Andy
                      Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Great point with the changing environments and using foliage to disguise yourself. HOWEVER!!! Please, please, please, please, please remember that when picking foiliage to put in your ghillie, its going to be very easy for someone to spot you if pick up live plants from groups and attaching them. Think about it, if you have a nice group of plants and theres a massive patch missing, its quite simple to realise that there is going to be someone around. I recommend using either leaves/foliage that has just died/fallen to the floor etc, or picking out the foliage in small sections as to prevent people realising that you have actually taken it. It surprising how many times ive picked someone out using that method. Also, if you want to be versatile, a method I love to use is the carabina method. You grab a molle vest and 2 leg platforms, about 20 carabina's (this can be quite expensive, but it works a treat) and whatever you want to make your ghillie out of (burlap, hessian, ive even seen people makethem out of jute string ant strips). Dye your materials the colour you want, and attatch them to the carabinas. Then attatch the carabinas to the molle vest. You probably will need to buy a ghillie hood as i havnt seen any molle hoods and the carabinas tend to hurt when they hit you in the head. As for the noise when metal hits metal, generally, you dont get that due to the material cushioning the metal. Just be careful you dont catch the carabinas on anything and break the molle chords.

Comment

I find the best sniping tactics are these.

Find a bush.
                          Hide.
                          Shoot people when they arent looking.

Thanks for coming.

Comment

Carabiners? Sounds expensive to me.

What is the advantage to that?
                            Originally posted by Coz

Comment

• Originally posted by Lt. Macka View Post
                              Carabiners? Sounds expensive to me.

What is the advantage to that?
                              The main advantage is that they're shiny and rattle. Oh wait. Elastic may be a better idea?
                              Buy my stuff!

Comment

*Sigh*
                                I hate contributing to threads like this, because whilst i like the idea of sniper rifles in airsoft, too many people think its a simple thing of buying the gun and becoming elite. But before i de-rail the thread, here we go.

If you really want to blend in with your surroundings, the best way to do it is as follows:
                                Take one boonie hat, with loops in the side. Wear this on your head.
                                Take one set of DPM kit. Wear this on your body.
                                Purchase a decent belt kit, with enough pouches for your mags, gas if needed, your pistol or backup weapon, and other little things you will need.

Now the hard bit. Either manufacture your own ghillie suit, or get some form of concealment vest. When you arrive on the day, go onto the game area and find the place you will most likely be staying at most the day. Use surrounding foliage to fill your vest, your headover, your boonie hat, legs, arms, back, but not the front. You need access to your front for crawling. Ensure that you dont cover your ammo pouches.
                                Failing that, get some normal PLCE webbing, put a bungee through the pouch loops, and stuff as much into it as you can. Put it through the straps on the yoke, in your headwear etc etc.

This is the cheapest option, as you use the ground around you. You will also blend in better, due to the fact you are using the ground around you rather than something which is not natural and which wont blend in properly. Even the professionals put live plants and leaves into their purpose made suits.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Lt. Macka A work offshore in the North Sea. Depending on Internet connection and how busy I am, I'm typically more active on the forums when I'm away offshore. When I'm ashore I'm generally busy with various hobbies. Find out more about Lt. Macka
                                Working...
                                X