Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: sniping tactics

Originally posted by Josh Bedford View Post
    remember that when picking foiliage to put in your ghillie, its going to be very easy for someone to spot you if pick up live plants from groups and attaching them. Think about it, if you have a nice group of plants and theres a massive patch missing, its quite simple to realise that there is going to be someone around. I recommend using either leaves/foliage that has just died/fallen to the floor etc, or picking out the foliage in small sections as to prevent people realising that you have actually taken it..
    Great idea, apart from 2 observations.

1. You should never stay in the same area where you have picked up your cam from. Thats just silly. Most snipers (see pre iraq and afghan) would only take 1 or 2 shots before relocating anyway. You should never take stuff from around where your hide is. You move to the area you will be staying, pick stuff from the edge, then move off somewhere else.
    2. Dead plants dont look like the surrounding environment. Thusly, you stick out.

Comment

Hoggy has it bang on.
      Originally posted by Coz
      Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
      http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

I recently attended a course with the RM and Pathfinders at Brunswick, one of the best tips I picked up was to simply pick up some foliage (in this particular area it was predominantly ferns) and simply hold them in front of your head while you line up the shot. Even from distances as short as 25m, you can be damn hard to spot as long as you pay attention to the basic principles of cam and con. On one of our stalks, I had to change my cam three times over less than 300m just to match my environment, always do this in dead ground and be aware of the location of your targets all the way to your firing position. Because in airsoft, we have to get very close for our engagements, your fieldcraft must be absolutely incredible, CamCon is the single most important part of being a sniper. Learn good navigation too, if you don't know how to get yourself from your LUP to the target area and subsequently your firing line without being seen, you are in trouble. To that end, a lot of people have been saying how you should spend your time on your belt buckle, as true as this is, when your targets are on the other side of a ridge line, take advantage and build up some speed. Speed allows for surprise, surprise allows for success.
        Sorry if my thoughts are rather poorly put across here, if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
        Oh, and one of the reasons I had to keep adapting my cam was because I was moving from areas of lush vegetation to dead ferns and bracken, green doesn't fit in brown and vice versa.
        | Systema L119A1 UGL PTW || Echo 1 L7A2 GPMG || G&P L110A2 Minimi || Custom L129A1 || KSC Glock 17 || Inokatsu Sig P226 || KSC Glock 18C |

Comment

Nice one mate. Cheers mate
          Originally posted by Coz

Comment

I should also point out, for my first two stalks I did not have a 'ghillie suit', I simply used a bush hat, CS95 DPM, PLCE webbing and an old sandbag and was able to complete both stalks successfully. Many of those in the actual Sniper Cadre, including two applicants from 'them' and most of the instructors are still using DPM...there must be a reason for this (all I'm saying).
            | Systema L119A1 UGL PTW || Echo 1 L7A2 GPMG || G&P L110A2 Minimi || Custom L129A1 || KSC Glock 17 || Inokatsu Sig P226 || KSC Glock 18C |

Comment

Good thread.

Originally posted by Lt. Macka View Post
              I'm in the rare camp where by I'm right handed but left eye dominant. - long story - don't ask.
              I'm the same actually ever since I had eye surgery when I was younger on my left eye. I've always shot using my right side though, and can focus on my picture out of the right eye so I can shoot with both eyes open.

This is mainly hunting experience, as I've spent far more time in the bush for hunting then anything else.

Due to our concentration of pine trees, and their acidic like leafs, our forests are rather soil brown and bare, and ghillie suits tend to stick out regardless of what natural vegetation your try to use. I've had a few hunting buddies try ghillie suits over the years, but when I remind them I can see them on the radio from a distance most of them didn't try to use them again.

Mind you our forests are dense enough at the same time that its not too easy to see at a distance at times. When wearing jeans and a red/black plaid jacket that I normally wear while hunting, I've been nearly invisible to people even standing a mere 50 yards away from them. Just by selecting a denser part of the forest that opens up to a more open space.

Narrow pathways (caused by animals, ATV's, snowmobiles etc), or even dirt roads, tend to open up the forest here, and you end up with a bank of thicker brush along with trees, that going prone will end up hiding you regardless of what your wearing rather well. As does the edges of farm fields have that same effect. Due to the water being able to run off better and allow those areas to promote more life then denser pine forests.

Sound and movement in my opinion play into whether or not your spotted then camouflage on its own. And natural camouflage such as I mentioned using natural brush lines works rather well for me. Its a weapon we all have the ability to use, but its one that tends to be forgotten due to the use of "artificial" camouflage.

I used to run a bipod on my M1A (Civilian semi-automatic only M14) while hunting, but stopped and started to use only a buttpack (I used to use a P37 small pack or the Canadian '84 small pack more often now) to support the rifle while shooting. Helps prevent skipping during the recoil phase of the shot (yes I know there is no real recoil on airsoft guns). However, I find them for the weight more useful too then a bipod, as I can keep nearly everything I need (including a couple of spare magazines, water, food, first aid kit etc) in one relatively easily, which is why I mention it.

Dimitri

Comment

Good post Dimitri. Ive actually been thinking about shooting off of a pack recently, or perhaps using a sand bag.

Mostly for hunting really but it could transfer across pretty well.

Sopmod: an interesting point there mate. Cheers.

Andy
                Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Just to show you how much its possible to stuff into a pack, right now its set up for the range, otherwise I'd have a topo map of where I'm hunting, and instead of the ear muffs I'd have a small amount of snacks of some sort. Don't really need ear protection for a handful of shots, I do however also require eye protection at the range something I realized was missing when I previewed this post!

Dimitri

Comment

Shooting using a sandbag for support is something I do quite regularly in the ulu (with an assault rifle I hasten to add), not least because of the additional cover it provides whilst giving you a stable platform. I am now carrying sandbags when I go airsofting for use with my GPMG to establish fixed positions so I see no reason why snipers shouldn't do the same thing, although I should think only one should be required for sniping as you only need a support rather than also building an element of cover. You could also use them to establish OPs and hides but check with site owners if you are allowed to dig.

Comment

Finally im done with my ghillie Its based on a Jacket from a Yugoslavian sniper suit which has some loops where i attached a net and then started the work with the burlap. I think it turned out alright, i wear it over a one piece flightsuit, it feels very comfortable, especially with low crawl and its easy access to my equipment pouches and back-up in my belt around the waist, so i think its a good solution.

What do you guys use? I guess many favors the webtex vest solution

Sorry for the poor in-door picture, ill be back later with a outdoor one in daylight

Comment

Looks good Mattias. Might be a bit dark but I'm sure it will be fine with the added vegetation.

I'm still rocking the full ghillie. Though I'm ditching the ghillie trousers in favour of some mc trousers. I fancy a Webtex vest but can't really justify the cost just now.

All the best
                        Andy
                        Originally posted by Coz

Comment

This is a hoofin thread, very concise info here
                          If anyone has any questions about any aspect of sniping please drop me a pm, I'll reply as quickly as I can

Comment

Heres some pics of "snipers" from my local site, cracking site for it with dense woodland and open scrubland

this one is myself in the grassland, have now added some scrim across my lens and added natural cam to my rifle

next two are two other lads I have helped out with their cam, now we have various snipers working properly how its meant to be done, incredibly effective

we are all using the web-tex concealment cape

Comment

Sorry, meant to press like... Stupid touch screen!
                              Awesome shots mate

Comment

Amazing! Really effective camouflage!
                                Originally posted by psirus101
                                I once got a player 100+ metres away by just pointing my finger and shouting "PEW PEW PEW". He took his ****ing hit!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Lt. Macka A work offshore in the North Sea. Depending on Internet connection and how busy I am, I'm typically more active on the forums when I'm away offshore. When I'm ashore I'm generally busy with various hobbies. Find out more about Lt. Macka
                                Working...
                                X