Sniper rifle hit taking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sniper rifle hit taking?

sorry i ment 480fps typo and a .25 should go slightly further than a .2 as it holds more kinetic energy to carry it further.
    Alot of people claim increased range with .25s instead of 2s

Originally posted by Metalbody
    pulling one off certainly feels good

Comment

Originally posted by Gaffa View Post
      Furthermore, if a lighter BB looses it's speed more (which I'm sure it does), then why does a 0.25g BB travel slightly less distance than a 0.20g BB?
      It doesn't...

http://www.sogairsoft.org/jmain/inde...3&limitstart=3

I use 0.3 blaster devils in my rifle, running at 320fps and get alot more range than .2
      "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't stop it from putting lego up its bum."

Comment

Originally posted by GREG_BURTON View Post
        hey mate what rifle you running to easily change the FPS? it must be a tanaka or AW-338 with a Co2 rig to change that easily the tanaka PCS bolt isn't really something you can do in seconds.
        I'm not pointing fingers and I see you just asked the question. But I hope no one ever adjusts fps in the field. Even if you think you have turned it down. It needs to be rechroned. I'm an engineer and always forget what way to screw things. ( lefty lousy righty tighty ) but its easily mistaken. And how can you gauge what fps your gun is at? Gas guns can vary in fps advising to weather. Even if you have turned it to a position you know it comes in at below five hundred. Might not be the same.

My old gas rifle, to remove bolt pull latch down in trigger guard. Pull bolt out. Using Allen key adjusting stop block. Slide back in. Latch up. Doable in seconds. Obviously I never did it. Mine was broken so it wouldn't adjust anyway. But the point still stands.

TM 226r, SYSTEMA PTW, Custom built m4, DE shotty, what else would a man need ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chandler View Post
          I'm not pointing fingers and I see you just asked the question. But I hope no one ever adjusts fps in the field. Even if you think you have turned it down. It needs to be rechroned. I'm an engineer and always forget what way to screw things. ( lefty lousy righty tighty ) but its easily mistaken. And how can you gauge what fps your gun is at? Gas guns can vary in fps advising to weather. Even if you have turned it to a position you know it comes in at below five hundred. Might not be the same.

My old gas rifle, to remove bolt pull latch down in trigger guard. Pull bolt out. Using Allen key adjusting stop block. Slide back in. Latch up. Doable in seconds. Obviously I never did it. Mine was broken so it wouldn't adjust anyway. But the point still stands.
          it is all cool mate. there is a + and - symbol so i know which way to turn it. sounds like you are talking about the TANAKA PCS bolt aswell i wouldn't do that in the field as i wouldn't want to lose the little allen screw.

Also the only time i turn the pressure up (on my Co2 rig) is when i have used a fair bit of the Co2 in the cartridge and it is to do with PSI not temperature. no matter what temperature it is the BB will fire the same FPS on the same PSI, warmer weather just means that you can achieve the same PSI with less gas used compared to cold weather.
          trader rating

Comment

This happened to me once, i was on the receiving end at a weekender.
            i was leaning against a wall when i heard a 'pop', now the jacket i was wearing had poppers on the chest which i would left undone after rummaging for money in the safezone. so initially i thought it was that id leant on one causing it to pop.

in the 3 seconds it took from the pop i heard to putting my hand behind the plate carrier i got and before i could even check i got "Take you F***ing hits you cheating c**t."
            if he had have waited 2 more seconds i would have called me self out realising it wasnt the poppers on my vest. needless to say i told him where to shove his sportsmanship and his language.

I did catch the lad in the safe zone on the day and explain and show to him the poppers on my jacket make a very similar noise to a BB hitting cordura but he was having none of it.

thats the only difficult situation i have had in terms of sniping. if i was sniping and i saw someone flinch when i shot them and carry on, it would make me abit annoyed but i think i would just cap them again.

Comment

Just to put this out there, i have played as a sniper plenty of times, so i'm not being biased. When there's a dark backdrop it's very hard to confirm a hit. You say you've seen people flinch but if i hear a sniper round whistle past me i jump like a bitch if i'm not expecting it and at times it probably could look like a flinch. At long ranges confirmation of hits is hard... Obviously non hit takers are annoying but try another one to the body before aiming for the face please, just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mark1989 View Post
                Just to put this out there, i have played as a sniper plenty of times, so i'm not being biased. When there's a dark backdrop it's very hard to confirm a hit. You say you've seen people flinch but if i hear a sniper round whistle past me i jump like a bitch if i'm not expecting it and at times it probably could look like a flinch. At long ranges confirmation of hits is hard... Obviously non hit takers are annoying but try another one to the body before aiming for the face please, just to be sure.
                Well if a player has ignored a potential hit for what ever reason, and also ignored the safety advice that shooting glasses are aloud but full face is a recommend then thats 2 faults on his behalf.

I used to use a M1 Carbine 8MM with 0.36's (white)and 0.45's (grey) and it was very frustrating for people not to take there hits. Especially when you only have 13 rounds per mag and that the BB's are 8mm so there is no excuse not to "feel it". In all fairness though to my local site (xsite) this has been rare.

Comment

Originally posted by jim_bob_marley View Post
                  if i was sniping and i saw someone flinch when i shot them and carry on, it would make me abit annoyed but i think i would just cap them again.
                  Sadly it's not always just sniping.

This weekend a friend and I had made a long, muddy crawl despite the weather to get around the back of a defensive emplacement. We removed a selection of the defenders, the most experienced players too... We had only a few more people to remove from a nearby emplacement and we had a free run into the objective...

I see one of the lads who hasn't realised we're round behind them, he's covered from his front but completely exposed to me. I tap two shots into his back... nothing.
                  A couple of his friends are in the bunker behind him, I've got no shot on them yet, he's obviously figured they're having a laugh...
                  I put it on auto and give him a 5-6 round burst into the back, he turns round, sees it's not his mates, scans, sees me and dives into cover, no thought of taking his hit!

Immediately after this he and his mates obviously know we're here, my mate makes a sideways run to draw their fire and I put three shots into the side of the face of one of the guys in the bunker (only part he exposed to get his own shots away), I hear "Argh <expletive deleted>" as the lad ducks down, then comes back up again firing...

None of them would take their hits, we couldn't move beyond them as we'd get shot in the back by them and ultimately we get taken out by their team mates who have regenned and come in behind us.

Completely spoils the game as we had got cold, wet and muddy, made a good maneuver and should've had a good chance of hitting the objective only to get stone-walled by three guys who didn't feel the need to die when shot.
                  So it's sometimes not even just snipers who have to deal with it.

Funny aside, there was also another guy there that day who obviously didn't want to be noticed for not taking his hits. He was in a bunker and a couple of us had a real line on him, every time he popped out we'd shoot him, he'd shout "Hit", duck back into cover, then pop up to shoot again a few moments later... It was just a succession of "Hit"s but no actual dying

Comment

It works both ways, ive shot a sniper who was wearing a full ghillie, saw it hit through my scope and he didnt take it because i dont think he even felt it

Originally posted by Metalbody
                    pulling one off certainly feels good

Comment

• Re: Sniper rifle hit taking?

Originally posted by mark1989 View Post

This lad had made a good point. I hear fire I moved. In the quickiest motion that I can. Normally drawing my body in as fast as i can. Always looks like a flinch. But unless the enemy is 2 meters away you have plenty of time to move if you hear the gun going off. At 80 yards Away a bb Is invisible even down a scope it might veer off the last couple of meters. Or even feet. But I would flinch if i heard a round hit my cover.
                      Obviously I'm not saying that none of you are hitting targets. But having being a marshal recently and a photographer a while before iv watched a lot of players calling non hit taking when the reality is it's not. And 9/10 the player was completely unaware of the round. Its very, very rare I ever seen a player ( not one I'm shooting at myself but whilst watching the player close up ) deliberately not take a hit. Like actually go " I was hit but I'm not taking it ". Though I have seen a lot of careless non hit taking. As far as I'm concerned from a personal and a marshal point of view, if in doubt. Call yourself out!!

TM 226r, SYSTEMA PTW, Custom built m4, DE shotty, what else would a man need ?

Comment

Don't forget that the fps/BB weight relationship to joules is only relevent at the point of measurement - usually the muzzle.
                        Beyond that point, the BB is no longer being accellerated, so mass, drag, etc. will affect how the BB "feels" when it hits someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chandler View Post
                          if in doubt. Call yourself out!!
                          ...damn those pinecones.

But agreed with all views. I do some form of chicken dance when a sniper round whacks my cover (especially if it's on my undefended side!)

But it's always a good idea to call a hit when you don't know exactly what happened. Afterall, most games have respawning- if they don't they're usually rather short!
                          sigpic

Comment

dont want to join the argument on bb weights but i started using .2s and there was no way i could hit a 50 yard target that was man sized i switched over to .25s and i was sending screamers down rang to 75 yards and beyond with pin point accuracy out of a standard l96

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

GREG_BURTON Find out more about GREG_BURTON
                            Working...
                            X