Collapse

Kydex holster making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't believe I've just posted this in the pics of your Glocks! Mods please delete /
    A single mag pouch with retention for those that asked. These are mag specific so a perfect fit.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363009443.362374.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363009480.496630.jpg

Comment

Re: Kydex holster making

Coyote brown is in and ready to go.

Comment

Here's the first of the Coyote Brown holsters, this is for a WE XDM for attaching to a battle belt rig, hence the squared of bottom.
        I've used black on the rear panel and CB on the front, still needs contouring to the body.
        ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364774151.231012.jpg
        ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364774170.286835.jpg
        I'm just on with a concealed carry 1911 holster, pics to follow.

Comment

Was considering making a kydex holster for one of my revolvers that is awkward to carry, but might have to have a go for my usual 1911 backup too!

I know its been asked before, but with a decently made kydex holster, is the retention really that good? I'm pretty err, mobile when I skirmish, I've had a serpa holster fail on me before and chuck my 1911 out of it mid sprint, going to be an issue with kydex?

Also, what do you reckon to forming the kydex using a vacuum? I'm thinking a similar technique to vacuum bagging carbon fibre parts. I only ask because I've got all that stuff, making a press is just extra expense if a vacuum will do the job!
          Buy my stuff!

Comment

Im pretty tough on holsters, and my MEU holster that Patrolpointman made me as held it securely as anything. Full metal too, so more likely to hop out through motion.
            AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatvortex View Post
              Was considering making a kydex holster for one of my revolvers that is awkward to carry, but might have to have a go for my usual 1911 backup too!

I know its been asked before, but with a decently made kydex holster, is the retention really that good? I'm pretty err, mobile when I skirmish, I've had a serpa holster fail on me before and chuck my 1911 out of it mid sprint, going to be an issue with kydex?

Also, what do you reckon to forming the kydex using a vacuum? I'm thinking a similar technique to vacuum bagging carbon fibre parts. I only ask because I've got all that stuff, making a press is just extra expense if a vacuum will do the job!
              2mm Kydex is about the same in terms of pliability as a piece of leather, if that gives you a decent idea? It also cools and hardens FAST... Vacuuming MIGHT work, but remember, you have to sandwich the gun between two layers.

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
                2mm Kydex is about the same in terms of pliability as a piece of leather, if that gives you a decent idea? It also cools and hardens FAST... Vacuuming MIGHT work, but remember, you have to sandwich the gun between two layers.
                Ok, sounds good. Yeah, I don't know how familiar you are with composite vacuum bagging, but essentially I was planning to make a plastic vac bag up, heat the kydex, stick the gun in between two sheets, chuck it in, seal the bag and stick the vacuum on. The vacuum pump I have will pull a pretty badass vacuum, so hopefully if I'm quick enough I'll get excellent definition.
                Buy my stuff!

Comment

Hi fellas, I've not had one let go!
                  The retention can be made more firmer but adds to the draw pressure, either way a quick upwards "jerk" releases it.

As for the vacuum, go for it. These can be done with either, it's the heat involved that you need to take into account! If you've got or can borrow a non-contact thermometer and get the kydex to 350deg (2mm) and your membrane can handle it, then give it a bash and pop some pics up.
                  This isn't a "it's my thread only" thread, other guys are more than welcome to post their efforts on here, it's always good to see other styles too.
                  Mark

Comment

Very interesting, Having flicked through the thread - I certainly love the look, especially the multicam/supercam.

Is it possible to get a softer finish on the inside at all? I am thinking about maybe suede or something on the inner faces to prevent holstering wear. I might well get one made in the long term for a project pistol of mine, since a Serpa isn't available for it, but I would want to avoid reholstering marks.

Also it it possible to get Kydex thick enough to use for a drop leg platform, down onto a single strap just below the hip?

A few designs running through my head at the moment seeing these...

Comment

I'd say no to the lining, mainly due to the kydex being formed onto the pistol! If a lining was then added to the inside it would make it very tight, probably too tight to draw or holster.
                      I'd go Cerokote if wear and tear is an issue, that stuff just doesn't wear!

Drop legs are possible, the style of holster actually lends it's self to be mounted high on the thigh due to it's width, so yes that's not a problem.

Comment

Could you not place the lining over the pistol under the kydex before you press it?

Sent from outer space
                        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

If anyone does manage to make a lined holster, please let me know how you did it!

I have thought over and over, how to make a lining on a kydex holster, and it's really, really hard Either you use a sheet of fabric and find some horrible hack&slash/origami method to get rid of the folds or you get something which is capable of being moulded in, e.g. like felt, but thinner... Then both methods still need to have a way to maintain external definition AND not snag on the pistol during use or pull off of the kydex, which itself is really resistant to most glues.

Or you can scrap kydex all together and use leather, which is the logical solution, but people don't seem to like leather all that much for some reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelarius View Post
                            If anyone does manage to make a lined holster, please let me know how you did it!

I have thought over and over, how to make a lining on a kydex holster, and it's really, really hard Either you use a sheet of fabric and find some horrible hack&slash/origami method to get rid of the folds or you get something which is capable of being moulded in, e.g. like felt, but thinner... Then both methods still need to have a way to maintain external definition AND not snag on the pistol during use or pull off of the kydex, which itself is really resistant to most glues.

Or you can scrap kydex all together and use leather, which is the logical solution, but people don't seem to like leather all that much for some reason...
                            Could you not just flock the inside of the holster?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
                            Buy my stuff!

Comment

Flock?
                              If felt is used then you'd have to wet it through and basically mould it using a press or vacuum to the pistol, once dry you could form the kydex over the top!
                              Definition and cost effectiveness would suffer to the point of "is it worth the extra"???
                              It can and has been done, but felt & leather would hold water even if treated, so the gun would be sat in a damp environment to hours, so are you really protecting the finish?
                              Still think spending £25 on a Cerokote job is the best bet for long term protection.

Comment

Originally posted by rubi-tong View Post
                                Flock?
                                If felt is used then you'd have to wet it through and basically mould it using a press or vacuum to the pistol, once dry you could form the kydex over the top!
                                Definition and cost effectiveness would suffer to the point of "is it worth the extra"???
                                It can and has been done, but felt & leather would hold water even if treated, so the gun would be sat in a damp environment to hours, so are you really protecting the finish?
                                Still think spending £25 on a Cerokote job is the best bet for long term protection.
                                Yeah, used on the dashes of rally cars (and many other things), basically tiny nylon fibres are stuck to the surface of a material using a special technique. Makes the surface feel velvety to the touch. Not sure how durable it is though.
                                Buy my stuff!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

rubi-tong Find out more about rubi-tong
                                Working...
                                X