Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Serious Airsoft Injuries

Originally posted by maxi View Post
    My friend shot me point-blank , in the safe-zone , in the temple. One CM further forward and i would have lost my right eye and been in an even greater amount of pain.
    Get some better friends.

Comment

About two, three months ago now, i had the unfortunate joy of being shot in the eye, i think the sniper was at about 340fps. Me and a friend were scaring each other with sniper rifles from 20ft away and i had checked that there were no bbs in the gun and he told me there was not however when i popped my head round the door i remember the most agonising sickening feeling and crawled to the bathroom just outside the door screaming in pain, i felt sick for about 30-40 minutes after that. I know, it was incredibly stupid and i dont need anyone to tell me because i regret it every day. I know have permanent eye damage, the trauma of the bb hitting my eye detached a part of my iris so i have a third pupil, and the trauma also meant that the retina was damaged, including the swelling of my optic nerve. The retina recovered as did the swelling in the nerve, but scar tissue formed on the retina and the result of that is that now whatever i look at with my right eye (the pin point vision, which is like a 1mm) is distorted, straight lines seem wavy etc.

My friend was incredibly sorry, and i dont blame him whatsoever it was gonna happen to one of us, unfortunately it was me. I had blurred vision in that eye for a month and a half after, also had to put lots of drops in the eye. The doctor said i was incredibly lucky and if the bb had hit 5mm closer to my iris i would of been permanently blinded. I had to stay bed ridden for two weeks, and that meant like not moving as much as possible, also sleeping upright. This was because after the iris stopped bleeding, the eye absorbed the blood and formed a clot. If the eye began bleeding again, it could of caused irreporable damage and would have needed an operation that could of resulted in either blindness or later infection that would of meant i could lose the eye. This was all worst case scenario stuff though.

All is fine now, and we laugh and joke about it because thats all we can do, however i will need glasses a lot earlier in life as the pressure in the damaged eye will increase every year and eventually detteriate.

I do remember immediately after being shot that it felt like something was under my eye lid, so i asked my friends if they could see, and then i felt it. The bb had lodged itself under my eye lid, and when i popped it out one of my mates started gagging almost. Said it was the sickest thing ever.

Here are some pics, as i said please don't hate on me, i know i was a fool for messing around, i'm just glad i'm not blinded. I can tell you though i've never been more serious about keeping myself and others safe with warnings of my story when playing airsoft, i love the sport to bits and would hate to see anyone suffer like i did.

The pupils are so massive so they could see into my eye.

You can see a sort of oval shape of the pupil, this is where it is floating free detached from the muscle.

This was two days after, the bloodshot area is where the bb hit, and it felt like i had sand/eyelash in my eye all the time.

The eye had almost healed, however it was still blurry and still able to get infected. You can see the tear in the iris clearly here.

So yeah, don't let your kids ever use a bb gun!
      My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Utorak007

Comment

Oh my lord

I kinda feel sorry for you. But those pics made me feel like i want to wear like 10 face masks (some how) for the rest of my life. i hope it gets better

(oh we dont hate you people make silly mistakes at some point in there life)

Will

Comment

Yeah i totally agree, first game back after it healed i was scared about just wearing glasses, and normally i'm like sorta suicidal when i play, like i take the initiative if a bomb needs to get closer to a heavily guarded area or stuff. But now i'm just very delicate with that sort of tactic...

Yeah i've made loads of silly mistakes lol, that was by far the silliest.
          Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 5 May, 2010, 22:12. Reason: languge

Comment

I'm currently nursing two broken ribs after a weekender at Sennybridge. Frigging painful, but got a month off work, so it wasn't all bad, lol.

Comment

Utorak, I would normally rag on you for being a mong, but jeez... glad you can still see buddy, we all do dumb sh*t sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by spetsnazdave87 View Post
                Utorak, I would normally rag on you for being a mong, but jeez... glad you can still see buddy, we all do dumb sh*t sometimes.
                Haha! Thanks man, it's nice to know you care in such a way!

But seriously, i'm totally fine now, look check me out!

You don't believe me, look at my eye man, it's totally cool!

Lol...?

Comment

Btw that last post, it was for the lulz... I felt in an overly tired mood and had to release some energy (for some reason was laughing whilst typing) ... Maybe i am just going a bit crazy...?

Anyway all that energy has made me sleepy... zzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzz

Comment

We obviously have different definitions of 'fine'.

Comment

My fine means - alright.

Does yours mean - DAAAAAAAAYYYAAMMMMMN!!!! ?

Comment

Now that's a very nasty injury. Well with a bit of luck that'll actually do some good and raise awareness about the importance of eye protection.
                        Sorry it happen to you though mate, that's horrible. Glad you're on the mend though. Nothing wrong with having to wear glasses, I've had them from age 6-16 but swapped to contact lenses for practicality reasons.
                        Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                        I've never seen an Aug look so large :p

Comment

@Roxy, i agree. That's what I've been doing, telling people new to the sport that they can't mess around or ever take their masks/glasses off as it is just to dangerous. At least it made me more responsible and mature about the seriousness of the dangers in the sport.

Lol, don't worry I've secretly always wanted to wear them!

Comment

Worst injury I encountered was getting shot in the toncils when shouting and someone laced me straight in there. gargling and spitting for half an hour, swelling up and allmost not being able to breathe. still funny though, hehe

Comment

Here's my worst...Fell into a river and got a cut in my leg which ended up infected from the river water before I could get home.

It got a lot worse than this as the leg started to rot with dead flesh and the hole got a lot deeper in the end but by then I had forgot about taking photos and was just hoping it would heal up!

Had to wear a compression cast for about 3 months from knee to foot to keep the circulation in the end.

And the kicker? It happened the first time I ever played...
                              Al -
                              United Kingdom Airsoft Players Union

Comment

I think i just vomitted a bit... Thats a horrible injury! Did it hurt a lot when it was infected?? Glad it didn't put you off airsoft though!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

A Ginger Ferret Find out more about A Ginger Ferret
                                Working...
                                X