Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SBS inspired hiking gear loadout

Originally posted by Pricey View Post
    After seeing this pic of the 'SBS' in Afghanistan (2001-2002) I decided I would try and loosely emulate their loadout:

Basically I just wore hiking gear, a shemagh and bought a fishing jacket from my local outdoors store and i've gotta say it was awesome!

The vest has pockets that perfectly fit around 8 stanag mags in. It was nice and light and meant manoeuvrability was much easier. If anyone is looking for an easy, light, yet different loadout I very much recommend

Pics of me (on the right):

Cheers for reading
    You got a lot to answer for Pricey! I now want to get a vest myself designed for the job Looking good. Might even be able to function over a plate carrier - whadda ya think?
    AIRSOFT WEAPONS M4 (recoil)sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the_firing_dutchman View Post
      Might even be able to function over a plate carrier - whadda ya think?
      I can't see any reason why not! Although It would probably work better with a Chest rig over a plate carrier. I'll give it a go with mine and see what the outcome is :D

Comment

Speaking of Vests & Chest Rigs, an SBS lad did just that...

This was taken around the same time as the rest of these pictures in the Tora Bora Mountains, with the SBS attached to Delta Force (in the background) in the Hunt for Bin Laden. If you want to know more about this, read 'Kill Bin Laden' by Dalton Fury-the Delta Commander on the ground.

Heres Dalton Fury giving a brief account of what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtPB...feature=g-hist
        Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Pricey View Post
          I can't see any reason why not! Although It would probably work better with a Chest rig over a plate carrier. I'll give it a go with mine and see what the outcome is :D
          Let us know how you get on!

BTW even the septics are in on it:

Pics of 2002 Afghan IIRC

Comment

BTW even the septics are in on it:

Pics of 2002 Afghan IIRC
            I've saved that photo for a future loadout.

I particularly like the fact it's not all "tactical" colours - blue sweatshirt and some extra colours in the shemagh. Other than the trousers, that should be pretty easy to do from a decent city-centre charity shop!
            sigpic

Comment

Haha, very true!

I got some of those dessie camos issued to me and coincidentally my rifle is already set up identical to his:

So, too good not to really..!

Comment

I want it. Give it to me!
                Zeroin - Come for the airsoft. Stay for the trolling.

Comment

The plate carrier is too bulky to wear the jacket over the top, But if worn over the top of a chest rig it fits nicely!

Comment

Sounds good to me... even with a low profile chest rig that doesn't bulk up too much but does allow three or four magazines in quick access pouches Rhodesian style

Comment

Originally posted by BioShocked View Post
                      I want it. Give it to me!
                      You'll have to peel my cold dead fingers from it first

Comment

I think I'll dig my No8's out of my rotting pussers suitcase. They will probably need taking out as I think they will have shrunk in the last 10yrs!
                        No8 shirt and OD pants, fishing vest in a grey colour dirtied up and my M4 (don't own a SFW :-(...)

What do you think they would wear now, 10yrs on? The same or a more upto date load?
                        Mark

Comment

Pictured recently for lrrp in dpm smocks (old geberdine ones), crye JPCs, caps, and a mix of trousers, crye ac etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, that pic more than likely isnt British, as by 2002, they were issued L119A1s and L17A2s.

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                            Free beer?!
                            Somewhere in Tony Geraghty's excellent book on the history of them up the road "Who Dares Wins", there is the story of the days pre-mobile and pagers, when the recall code was "Free Beer". Apparently, one chap's mum was a bit concerned about her little boy's drinkinking habits and was reluctant to pass the message on.

Talking of recall stuff, when I was an LC2, I was based at Poole - bear in mind this was twenty years ago - and a couple of years ago I found my PYE "bleep" pager in a grip which I'd negelected to hand in when we went over to Cellnet ones. An absolute brick of a thing, they were usually seen hanging off a belt in a Poole pub. If they were worn by a fat bloke with an addiction to B and H, with a faint smell of dieso, he was LC, if they were worn by a chisel jawed type with perfectly coiffed hair, it was a Frog.
                            Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post
                              Pictured recently for lrrp in dpm smocks (old geberdine ones), crye JPCs, caps, and a mix of trousers, crye ac etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, that pic more than likely isnt British, as by 2002, they were issued L119A1s and L17A2s.
                              To be fair that sounds like what my mate was wearing when he was with 19X brf on herrick 10

Comment

May be of interest to some, I've just read a pre-production copy of Damien Lewis' new book "Zero Six Bravo". He's written a couple of good books regarding UKSF. This is about the mission in the early stages of Telic 1 where the Frogsquad went OTR in Iraq. This caused a bit of friction between Poole and Hereford at the time, to the point that at the end of year debrief there was a stand up fight between snco's from both the Squadron and them up the road. It's due out in the next couple of months, worth a squint.
                                Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Pricey You wanna know? Ask me... Find out more about Pricey
                                Working...
                                X