Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Indirect fire - blind firing?

As I'm in teh modd why not a bit of necro posting:

1. A Grenade is a "indirect" fire weapon.
    2. A Rifle is a "direct" fire weapon.
    3. A Real UGL is a "indirect" fire weapon - A Moscat is a "direct" fire weapon.

Basically is you lobe a ball nade or similar over cover - fair game - its a "indirect weaon"

If you shoot your rifle without aiming you cannot see me - you do not know if I'm 200 or 2 feet away. Direct weapons should be used in the same way as real life. Rear sight, front sight - target. Moscats unlike their RS counterparts don't have the range & therefore are direct fire in airsoft.... and should be treated as such.

If you blind fire round a corner or cover is Dangerous. yes we're "siming" but in a safe way.
    I APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE IF I BREAK THE RULES.

Comment

Since when are grenades blind fire? Anyone who is, or was, serving in the forces will tell you that when you throw a grenade you are supposed to watch the grenade till it lands then you duck out of the way. We all know in real life that that isnt practical but it is the correct way. grenades at the skirmish sites i use arent allowed to be thrown overarm. they must be either thrown underarm or rolled.
      Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

right I didn't say they are "blind fire" but indirect.... I think I'm correct in that one.

Also I remember the room clearenance drills - open door - lob in frag... bang - enter. Personnally I was told not to watch the thing land as I'll be standing in the door way / in the line of fire. likewiese blind firing (or poking my gun around the corner without aiming) was also a big no no. And that what we're talking about here.

As for throwning nades - all the site I play at allow overarm throws (unless a BFG)
        I APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE IF I BREAK THE RULES.

Comment

Yer I get all that, agree totally with no blind fire round corners etc, that gets right on my goat, but TKOS was talking about firing in the air (see his picaso-esc picture lol) and letting bb's rain down in a general area which I don't see any different than lobbing a grenade round a corner or in a bush and letting bb's rain out, someone in or around that bush could be a couple of feet away. Also you could throw high and the grenade air bursts with same results.

Comment

Apologies Tallbloke. You did indeed say indirect and not blind fire but technically they are the same but I know what you meant.

You are right about room clearance too but I should have been clearer. I meant on a firing range you stood in your pit, pulled the pin, overarm threw the grenade in a bowling action, watched it land then ducked down. That was the correct way on a range as far as I can remember (30 years ago now lol).

And as for Throwing the grenades in the air, I think common sense needs to prevail. It is one thing seeing an airburst of bb's but another watching a young kid come from behind a bush with a split head because the grenade landed on his head. The sites I play at state that it is a measured radius that creates the killzone and not the bbs hitting you.

If you dont get hit by bb's but are still within a few feet of the grenade you are still dead so it doesnt need to be thrown in the air for effect
            Feedback link

Comment

What do you mean common sense? You may not see any player in bush, I didn't mean throwing at someone on purpose.
              Plus a bb hit is a hit surely. Someone else could be firing at the area at same time and target player could claim no hit as it was from grenade. Then than arguments start lol.

Comment

Originally posted by The Keeper of Secrets View Post
                I'm assuming they can't crawl 50 odd feet in the time it takes for me to lie back and pull a trigger.

And @Nun-chuck, why not? "Call in air support!" Kaboom!

Assumption is a very dangerous thing. it may be a different person you haven't spotted and you assume there is noone there, very dangerous in my opinion
                Feedback link

Comment

Since this had been brought up again...

As I said, I would check for anyone hiding the other side of my peice of cover.

Also, I WOULD be looking down my sights, so if someone stuck their head up I wouldn't pull the trigger. Simple as that.

Comment

When I say common sense, I mean that there are certain rules as to how you handle an airsoft grenade.

A lot of sites say it must be used underarm and not thown in a high trajectory. I think that is perfectly acceptable. If it is intended to go over a wall it is to be dropped over not thrown. Dropping a grenade and it landing on someones head isn't going to be half as painful as someone throwing it from 15 yards away and landing on their head.

Although we are in a sport which simulates combat there are certain lines that have to be drawn with regards to realism and safety. safety must come first regardles of people views as to what they think should be allowed to happen
                    Feedback link

Comment

I think fella you are being a bit pedantic about the words in my thread, I didn't mean literally throwing a grenade at someone. Please explain how you would "drop" a grenade over a wall thats say 10ft high.

Comment

Not allowed at my local site, I can see how blind fire could potentially cause a lot of issues. Firing on the other hand into a bush or something is different, you are firing at a potential target and can see what is between you and your target, whereas with blind fire anyone could be in the way or right on the other side.
                        Weapons of Choice:
                        G&G SOC-16
                        Socom Gear NOVAK neXt 1911
                        JG - AK47 tactical
                        VFC Scar - L
                        Custom Benelli M3 Super 90

Comment

Originally posted by Ian IWG View Post
                          I think fella you are being a bit pedantic about the words in my thread, I didn't mean literally throwing a grenade at someone. Please explain how you would "drop" a grenade over a wall thats say 10ft high.
                          Not sure if the quote was aimed at any of my posts, but if it is I don't think I am being pedantic. As an example I was hit in the face with a BFG because someone "lobbed a grenade into a room I was hiding in without looking first. I was standing up not kneeling. Because of the short time fuse not only did I get a split cheek but It also went off in my face. My ears were ringing for hrs. Now that may sound funny to some people but a bang that loud and close to your ear can cause permanent damage As for "dropping" a grenade over a 10ft wall lets try to be sensible mate. I would call that throwing wouldn't you.

All I am saying is most sites won't allow it because of the safety implications. I know it isn't realistic to have to look where you throw a grenade but in real life you don't give a sh* whos in the room and you don't care where you chuck it. This is a game though and you have to be aware of the implications of your actions
                          Last edited by jfox61; 23 December, 2009, 09:53.
                          Feedback link

Comment

I should prebably clear up for what must be the third time that I am in no way condoling blind firing. What I was describing was someone looking down their sights and lobbing bbs. Let us consider the eventuality:

Someone sticks their head up from the piece of cover you are lying behind:

You are looking down your sights, will see them, and won't fire.

It's that simple. Look at my brilliantly drawn paint diagram (ahem). You're lying behind the cover and so the gun's muzzle is a good 10ft away from the top of your cover, and you're looking down the sights of your gun. If some ninja does rear their head over the top you just don't pull the trigger, take the hit, and walk off.

If no-one dows, you pull the trigger, the bbs sail into the air and then drop down about 50ft ahead of you, on the heads of your targets.

Obviously lobbing bbs with an AEG isn't good, but with moscarts it allows them to become far more effective.

Comment

Having talked about this with a few team mate's, for what it's worth, we don't see this as a problem. As I was trying to say earlier this is no different than using a grenade to do same job.

Comment

cant see a problem at all with it, it's done in paintball all the time and when your doing a mugin your usually point blank range and a paintball will do alot more damage and hurts 1000 times more then what a bb does, if people are so worried about it then they should wear the relevant protection i.e. full face mask, and if they choose not to then dont complain as you only have yourselves to blame, it happens live with it.

Love airsoft but god are there a bunch of girls in this hobby.
                                Trader Feedback

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39650

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

The Keeper of Secrets TreadStone Captain and Team Sniper. Find out more about The Keeper of Secrets
                                Working...
                                X