Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: British Forces Weaponry

Wow, anal much?

Surely all you need is one WWII era pic of a sand coloured Sten (that we have) and you have to admit that yes, some were painted tan.

Anyway, does it matter? It looks awesome, I'm sure they would have painted them had they been allowed to/had the paint, and it's not going to get anyone arrested for historical inaccuracy. Even if it's not historically correct (which we now know it is anyway..) it's a cool idea to carry through to fruition. /rant

p.s. I think there may be more history police in airsoft than in the actual military
    If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out.

Comment

Except... That's not an airsoft Sten...

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
        Except... That's not an airsoft Sten...
        But this is an airsoft forum.
        If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithles View Post
          But this is an airsoft forum.
          Indeed, which begs the question: Why was it posted here in the first place?

And it should also be noted Gadge isn't just an airsofter.

Comment

Exactly, i'm an airsofter, military historian and re-enactor.

In military history/re-enactment circles, no one example isnt enough to prove something was done as a rule. It's far too easy to fake things and re-write history unless you've got a good sample of photographic and recorded evidence.

A classic example is drop leg tank holsters. There is *one* famous pic of a para officer wearing one at Arnhem (one man out of a division of more than 6000) but its been picked up on by re-enactors and WWII airsofters and copied so much you'd be forgiven for thinking they were standard issue

It all depends on your field of interest really. Mine happens to be WWII and post/cold war Brit kit.

No ones saying it's not cool, im just saying it's not very likely. It would seem from chatting to guys who *really* know their stuff on another forum that painted stens were an australian thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
            Indeed, which begs the question: Why was it posted here in the first place?
            Because surely the whole point of RIFs is that they imitate the real deal and you need to be able to show the real deal for a sensible comparison?
            Last edited by Gadge Europa; 13 February, 2013, 13:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
              Because surely the whole point of RIFs is that they imitate the real deal and you need to be able to show the real deal for a sensible comparison?
              Exactly
              I'm getting too old for this shit

Comment

Originally posted by golightly View Post
                Exactly
                And thats why I'm here. Theres experts on this board that have taken the time to do the research for proper equipment loads. I find this interesting plus I have a ton of live weapons from including a large WWII and machine gun collection that I will gladly document for anybody who is looking to build a correct replica.

My real hope is to find a "real" airsoft sten. Something built from a parts kit and is close enough to feel real. I'd love to find a way to have a "slide in" kit for mine that would be triggered by the factory sear but I'm guessing thats a long shot.

Comment

i hope deactivated weapons count in this thread too :D

tm/ cybergun, thompson m1a1 (iv got a m1928 upper for it too)
                  1943 lee enfield #4 mk1
                  1944 Bren mk2
                  iv also got a kjw m1911 and a we browing hi-power but no photos of them at the moment.

just ignore the m3. now im wonderng, next purchase, airsoft sten (dont want a mk2 though :S) or a deactivated mk5??

Comment

I wish dewats were allowed here. You have no idea how lucky you are to be able to have them. Around here what you would call a dewat is a NFA item. A dewat machine gun is extremly rare and extremly expensive because you can still F1 them and make them functional. If they were not registered in 68 its a major felony. Most have already been converted and the legal ones that havent are just as expensive as a functional machine gun

To have a sten your looking at around 6 grand for a decent functional one and I've never seen a dewat. A functional bren would be 30-40k Last bren dewat I saw was high 20's....for essentially what you have in your bed room. US NFA laws suck....

Take comfort in that laws aside there are people who could make that bren run again... Early sten dewats are as easy as cutting a weld on the barrel nut, swapping in a new barrel/bolt and your good to go. Not saying that you should do that legally wise but there not totally dead

Comment

heres my british weapons hope you like them most parts are rs on the sa80 and thats a genuine eotech on the shotty

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by burner208 View Post
                        My real hope is to find a "real" airsoft sten. Something built from a parts kit and is close enough to feel real. I'd love to find a way to have a "slide in" kit for mine that would be triggered by the factory sear but I'm guessing thats a long shot.
                        That'd be illegal here in the UK.

The closest you could get here would be a scratch-built GBB. And then you'd have to be careful about the "easily modifyable" issue.
                        e.g. Brocock air cartridge revolvers were made illegal here because they could be "easily modified" to fire live rounds.
                        With a mechanism as simple as the Sten, you'd have to be careful.

Comment

if you're still interested in the sten paint issue Burner it would seem that there is a pic of *one* slightly camoed one at Arnhem but its a lot more likely any painted stuff comes from rhodesian stocks as there SF painted pretty much everything.

So like i say, cool camo job but if you're going to use it for WWII games maybe overspray the jerboa... that makes it look *really* modern.

Comment

Originally posted by burner208

Colt 6933 11.5
                            KAC RAS rails
                            LMT sopmod stock
                            MaTech BUIS
                            TA01NSN and Aimpoint M68 cco (comp m4)
                            And that is relevant to the thread how?

There's an M4 thread for generic armalites, cool or not.

Lovely guns though jssmitty - What parts on the L85 are real and which aren't - it looks great? I really want to get my RS Surefire on mine but I can't really find a place to machine it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay8 View Post
                              Lovely guns though jssmitty - What parts on the L85 are real and which aren't - it looks great? I really want to get my RS Surefire on mine but I can't really find a place to machine it properly.
                              quite abit of it is the rs parts apart from the actuall body and barell not gunna say where they are from though. basicly all the added extra's are genuine down to as small as the ladder rail covers and every scope pictured is rs apart from the one on the l115a3 which i am getting a leupold for it this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
                                if you're still interested in the sten paint issue Burner it would seem that there is a pic of *one* slightly camoed one at Arnhem but its a lot more likely any painted stuff comes from rhodesian stocks as there SF painted pretty much everything.

So like i say, cool camo job but if you're going to use it for WWII games maybe overspray the jerboa... that makes it look *really* modern.
                                I should hope he doesn't use his live, 9mm Sten for airsoft games!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Jay8 Find out more about Jay8
                                Working...
                                X